Monday, February 11, 2008

Light My Fire

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, Pyro became the horse of the moment with his stunning last to first romp down the home stretch in the Risen Star at Fairgrounds on Saturday. His performance was nothing short of electrifying down the stretch.



With his astounding final quarter mile in 22 and 3/5 seconds (even while gearing down in the last few strides), Pyro leaped ahead of War pass as the horse to beat come May.

For us, however, there's a contest brewing. Once again, the ARFTCHC is sponsoring a fantasy stable league. In our little contest, Schanuci has bolted to an early lead with 21 points (2337 place overall) in the first weekend of racing. Miracles [Merkels] follow with 18 points. Clifton Pond Stables have 16 points. Creasy Greens trail the field with 10 points. For some reason, RFTR has not scored Yes We Can.

A word about our contest, Creasy Greens and Miracles are owned by the creator of this blog (me). When I was selecting horses, I inadvertently selected my tenth horse and verified before I double-checked. As a result, I left Pyro off my original stable. RFTR does not allow you to de-select once your stable is verified, so rather than suffer the whole competition without my second favorite horse, I chose to create another stable.

I initially chose the name Creasy Greens for my first stable because they remind me of early spring. Creasy Greens are also known in some places as Upland Cress. In Greene County, where I used to live on a dairy farm, we'd go out beside the stream next to the gas plant and pick the tender greens in the early spring and boil the tarnation out of them to create a spinach-like salad.

So when I blew my first stable, I had to come up with another local spring-time name. That's when I thought of Miracles. Miracles [Merkels] are known to most of the world as Morel mushrooms. However, in Greene County, these prized mushrooms are simply merkels, and their locations are jealously guarded secrets by highly conditioned Miracle hunters during the wet phase of spring.

It's not too late to join our little league.

First you need to visit
http://www.roadtotheroses.com/G=74/logout.phtml

Once there. Pick your ten horses, two jockeys, and two trainers. Verify your stable. Activate your horses for the weekend's races and join our league.

Here is all the info you need to join us:

League Name: ARFTCHC
League Identifier: 2883231050
Activation Code: 3469891059




No comments: